LIVE UPDATES: Looting continues for second straight night in Philadelphia

Demonstrations have continued across Philadelphia for a second night following the shooting death of Walter Wallace Jr. A large group of protesters gathered at Malcolm X Park in West Philadelphia starting at 6 PM. From there, the group marched through West Philadelphia while chanting Black Lives Matter slogans. The protesters have demanded to know the identities of the officers involved in the shooting.

So far, there haven’t been any reports of looting and vandalism in West Philly. The area experienced rioting on the previous night, particularly on 52nd street.

All told, 30 police officers were injured and multiple businesses were looted in the October 26 unrest. The National Guard is expected to deploy to the city in order to quiet the unrest.

RELATED: Violent riots break out in West Philadelphia following Walter Wallace shooting

On the second night, looting has occurred in other areas of the city. Multiple businesses have been ransacked on Aramingo Avenue. “A large crowd of appx 1000 is looting businesses in the area of Castor and Aramingo. Avoid the area” the Philadelphia Police said via tweet.

A Fox Philadelphia helicopter filmed looters hitting a Walmart in Port Richmond. At least one vehicle fire has been reported.

Walter Wallace Sr. condemned the looting and violence. “They’re not helping my family, they’re showing disrespect. Stop this violence and chaos. People have businesses,” Wallace Sr. told reporters.

We will continue to provide updates as the situation unfolds on night two.


A reporter for The Blaze, Elijah Schaffer, was assaulted while filming the looting.

Schaffer’s feed shows a police presence on the ground but the crowd appears too big to contain. Police sirens can be seen maybe 50 yards away from the looters, who do not appear to be phased.

UPDATE, 10:14 PM

The Office of Emergency Management urged residents in West Philadelphia, Kensington, Fairhill, North Philadelphia Fishtown and Port Richmond to remain inside due to the unrest.

According to the Philadelphia Inquirer, demonstrators began throwing objects at police officers and chased them down Delancey Street near 52nd Street. Multiple officers arrived for backup and began to disperse the crowd using batons and tear gas around 9:20 PM. Multiple arrests were made, according to the police.

SEPTA is bypassing 52nd street due to the unrest.

UPDATE, 11:38 PM

Police commanders told CBS Philadelphia that looting along Aramingo Avenue had “rapidly gone downhill” and described the situation as a “total loss.”

Multiple strips of stores along both sides of the street were looted. Around 11 PM, law enforcement could be seen entering the ransacked Five Below where Elijah Schaffer was assaulted earlier in the night. A number of state troopers are reportedly en-route.

In West Philadelphia, police have set up a perimeter around the 52nd street and Market street area. The larger group has been splintered but small groups continue to clash with police. Demonstrators have thrown projectiles at police lines, including bricks from a nearby abandoned property. Multiple arrests have been made.

Jason N. Peters is reporting that hundreds of protesters are still on the streets as of this time.

UPDATE, 11:47 PM

As of 11:37 PM, Elijah Schaffer is reporting that looting has continued largely unabated along Aramingo Avenue. Several blocks are reportedly out of control.

Multiple people have been shot amidst the second night of unrest in Philadelphia. Police say there was a double shooting at Aramingo and Castor in Port Richmond around 8:45 PM. One of the victims was a 15 year-old girl, who is in stable condition.

Daily Caller reporter Kaylee Greenlee tweeted that a “truck full” of firearms was confiscated from looters, according to the police.


Videos from inside the stores looted shows widespread destruction. The Walmart in Port Richmond was totally ransacked and appears to be flooded.

Police arrived at the Walmart at some point during the night but then looters returned once they left. The police were largely unable to contain the looters in the northeast and appeared to have more resources in West Philadelphia. Looting did not break out in West Philadelphia, as it had the night before. Clashes with police did continue through the early morning hours and multiple arrests were made.

According to reporters on the ground, the National Guard was not present. It was earlier reported that the National Guard would be deployed to the city.

The White House issued a statement on the rioting. “In America, we resolve conflicts through the courts and the justice system. We can never allow mob rule. The Trump Administration stands proudly with law enforcement, and stands ready, upon request, to deploy any and all Federal resources to end these riots” read a statement from the office of the White House Press Secretary.

Leave a Reply